User Tag List

Thread: Amsterdam New Year

Groats

Amsterdam New Year

Hey, so I'm going to Amsterdam for New Year with the girlfriend, any of the dutchies (or anyone else?) on this forum have any recommendations for places to go for the eve?

I will be there 30th - 2nd

@KoeN @Robin @xtrasyn

Cheers
    Do you believe you’re missing out? Everything good is happening somewhere else.
    But with nobody in your bed, the night’s hard to get through.
    --------------------------------
    Well I've had many different girls inside my bed, but only one or two inside my head
    These days I cuddle up to my guitar instead
    But oh, what I would give, not to stumble but to really fall in love
    And I could substitute my singing for the sound of someone sleeping next to me

depends a bit what you want to do i suppose? most people i know from Amsterdam attend parties, for which you'd need to buy tickets... but as much as i despise certain aspects of that place, i guess you can't go wrong really. my days of going clubbing there are over now, i usually visit pubs. last weekend i had some party at café Pollux, near central station. they serve warsteiner draught, for a decent price. another pub i often visit when there is café Nol. horrible Dutch music, a grumpy bouncer and an interior that makes the eyes bleed, but its always good for comedy value. pubs at the Nieuwmarkt are generally good also, and not that expensive.

if you want to visit some dinner/comedy show i guess you could visit Boom Chicago, or maybe some international show at Toomler.

but as said, i don't think you can go very wrong. Amsterdam is a place with a huge amount of different pubs within a few square km's. if you don't like one place, just go on to the other.

oh and for daytime: i'd definitely visit the Rijksmuseum, as it has recently been renovated for a huge amount of money. the result is quite pretty. and some week ago the new Van Gogh museum was reopened also, its supposed to be nice (haven't seen it myself yet, though).
    Last edited by KoeN; 13 Dec 2016 at 22:21.
    Batracer champion 2012 - 2013.

Groats
    pubs sound good and we will certainly be trying a few out

Happy to buy tickets for something if it's good, otherwise will the atmosphere in the pubs/bars generally be decent? Is there an area worth heading towards for midnight and then drinking in various places nearby afterwards?
    Do you believe you’re missing out? Everything good is happening somewhere else.
    But with nobody in your bed, the night’s hard to get through.
    --------------------------------
    Well I've had many different girls inside my bed, but only one or two inside my head
    These days I cuddle up to my guitar instead
    But oh, what I would give, not to stumble but to really fall in love
    And I could substitute my singing for the sound of someone sleeping next to me

No good tips, I always try to avoid Amsterdam.
    So best you can get out of me is to have a look here: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visitin...endar/december
    My name is Robin, and I'm not a tarotist.

Groats
    The only two reasons to go to Amsterdam are cannabis and prostitutes.
    "Louie is the pinnacle of contemporary drama" - isildurx, July 2014